Translate

Friday, February 26, 2016

Fleet Review: Life-Like EMD SD 7/9

Life-Like in my minimal experience makes some respectable, and affordable locomotives. Their SD 7/9's are no exception, and while they are no longer made, can often be found for a bargain at various train shows and auction sites (aka the e-bay).
I got my pair for a hefty $20 per engine at a local show. I just couldn't say no to that price.


A dynamic duo

On first inspection, they are well detailed,with nice paint(I got the EMD demonstrator versions), and the plastic hand rails are not ugly and over sized. Initially they come with rapido couplers, but the 2 I got were modified with some nice MT knuckles. While not super hefty, they are not light either(that said an extra ounce may help them pull more). 


paint me like one of you French women...

Inside you get a nice 5 pole motor with 2 fly wheels. the whole chassis is plastic with weights on top of the gear towers. Underneath, all 12 wheels suck up juice from the track with the 2 outer axles on each truck actually being driven. No traction tires on these puppies, though if you wanted to add one on one of the driven wheels, it probably wont hurt pickup too much.

Powering through the inner loop

Thanks to the nice 5 pole motor, these are pretty sweet runners and together a pair can pull roughly 25-30 cars on level track.  Their not quite the retro-art deco feel I want for my layout, but I've always had a soft spot for high hoods. And I've run these babies for hours at my club layout with no problems. If you ever run into one at a good price why not check it out!

[side note] - These sometimes apparently can have pickup issues with the contacts that direct current from the trucks to the motor. they can sometimes be moved out of place or squished down and make for some pretty poop running. An easy fix for this is to simply bend the wires back into shape so they make contact again. Though soldering some extra metal or a small spring may be a better more permanent solution(if there is a problem that is).

another picture for good luck


No comments:

Post a Comment