Translate

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Getting Started


I've recently learned about the wonders of the mystical door layout. So, dats what I did. One of my friends was throwing out an old closet door, so I nabbed it from the trash and started from there.
I bought some pink insulation foam from Ye Olde' Hardware Store along with a few tubes of adhesive caulk.
I'm the kind of dude who likes to watch trains run, so this layout will be mostly a double track roundy rounder. I've got 2 sidings for storage and (very) light operations. Here's the plan.

So pretty!


Don't mind my amazing MS Paint plan. The basic idea, 2 trains some switches, a turntable, a few bridges, and some tunnel bits. A very basic plan for a beginner. I'm hoping that it will be sufficiently interesting with bridges and tunnels to break line of sight while also being able to run 2 trains. We shall see.
     The red area indicates the main "commercial sector" of the city. we'll call it the city deck. It will serve two purposes here. Break line of sight so trains temporarily disappear, and to act as a foreground for eventual skyscrapers. The other feature here is the turntable. I've decided to build it into the city deck, 1. cuz it looks cool, and 2. roundhouses are too damn expensive!
     The blue bits are a recess cut through both layers of foam straight to the bare door.  This area will be a highway. the yellow boxes will be eventual bridges.

Makin' tracks.....




No comments:

Post a Comment