Translate

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

A layer of plaster and a dab of color

There's always a long pause between updates, but things have been happening, albeit slowly. Mainly on the South Bend section of the layout as that is the closet to being a layout. I've moved forward with mountain building, and finally got the courage to attempt to carve the foam and lay down some of that sweet plaster cloth I bought last year. With the help of a tub of wall spackle, this is the ending result:

                        
 Looks kinda sloppy, but its my first time doing this so I'll take it

Definitely wasn't feeling confident in it once I had finished and it had all dried, but after slapping on some color, it actually doesn't look too bad. at least for a first go. I got some plaster goo on the ship, but hey, nothing a spot of paint cant hide. I also got some retaining walls from a company called Chooch Enterprises. Its a rubbery silicone sheet thing with a self adhesive back that you can slap on where needed. I didn't trust the glue it came with so I spread on some of my trusty adhesive caulk and we were in business. I needed 2 sheets, but I bought 2 different styles by accident, and left an ugly looking seam between them, but since a building is going to be directly in front of that part I'm not too worried.
The next step is to get some ground cover down. I'm thinking kinda shrubby and gravely like a cutting or cliff since to me it looks more like a little piece of a larger mountain. So I'm gonna go light on the trees, heavy of the scrub and see what that looks like.
Its slowly coming together now, and the more I do the more excited I get. I cant wait to start taking some nice scenic pictures!

looking more and more erry day!

No comments:

Post a Comment